On April 17 to 30, 2016 and May 22, 2016 to June 24, 2016, Harris County sustained significant damage from two major flooding events that resulted from severe storms and flooding. As a result, both flooding events were Presidentially Declared as Disasters in Harris County. On September 29, 2016, under Section 145 of the Continuing Appropriations Act 2017, on December 10, 2016 under the Furthering Continuing and Security Assistance Appropriations Act 2017 and on May 5, 2017 under the Consolidated Appropriations Act 2017, the State of Texas was allocated by the US Congress $238,895,000 in Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) (Public Law 114-223, 114-254 and 115-31) funding to be used in the recovery process. The Texas General Land Office (GLO) is the CDBG-DR administrator of the State’s allocation. The amount allocated to Harris County and affected jurisdictions by the GLO was $66,199,732.
Harris County has sought the assistance of local jurisdictions to solicit public input on damage and unmet needs from the 2016 Presidentially Declared Disasters. The following lists community events where local residents can provide comments and recommendations regarding disaster recovery projects.
Housing Project Application
Harris County encourages all interested parties to review the DRAFT Housing Project Application posted below and is seeking input on the application for CDBG-DR funds to be submitted to the GLO.
Non-Housing Project Application
Harris County encourages all interested parties to review the DRAFT Non-Housing Project Application posted below and is seeking input on the application for CDBG-DR funds to be submitted to the GLO.
Written and oral comments regarding the Draft Housing and Non-Housing Project Applications will be taken at a public hearing scheduled for the following date, time and location:
One public hearing will be held on Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 5:30 pm at the Harris County Community Services Department (HCCSD) office location, 8410 Lantern Point, Houston, TX 77054.
The public hearing will be conducted in English; however, other languages and sign language interpreters can be available upon request. HCCSD will provide for reasonable accommodations for persons needing special accommodations if contacted 24 hours prior to the start of the function. Requests by persons with Limited English Proficiency (LEP) and requesting a language interpreter should be received by HCCSD staff 48 hours prior to the start of the public hearing.
Additional written comments must be received at Harris County by 5:00pm on March 27, 2018. Comments should be addressed to Attn: Jared Briggs, HCCSD Development Manager, 8410 Lantern Point Drive, Houston, TX 77054 or submitted by email to email@example.com.
Method of Distribution
Community Meeting/Hearings dates and times are as follows:
- May 23, 2017, 6pm at Leonardo Castillo Community Center – 2101 South Street, Houston, TX 77009 hosted by the City of Houston – Notice of Community Meeting
- May 24, 2017, 10am at Pasadena Public Library (Meeting Room) – 1201 Jeff Ginn Memorial Dr. Pasadena, TX 77506 hosted by the City of Pasadena – Notice of Community Meeting
- May 30, 2017, 5:30pm at the Sterling Municipal Library, Wilhite Meeting Room – 1 Mary Elizabeth Wilbanks Ave, Baytown, TX 77520 hosted by the City of Baytown – Notice of Community Meeting
- May 31, 2017, 10am at City of Humble Council Chamber – 114 West Higgins, Humble, TX 77338 hosted by the City of Humble – Notice of Community Meeting
- June 5, 2017, 6:00 pm at City of Tomball City Hall – 401 Market Street, Tomball, TX 77375 hosted by the Tomball City Council and the Tomball Community Development Department – Notice of Community Meeting
- July 5, 2017, 6:00 pm at City of Katy City Hall – 901 Avenue C, Katy, TX 77492 hosted by the City of Katy –Notice of Community Meeting
- December 14, 2017, 5:30pm at Harris County Community Services Department – 8410 Lantern Point, TX 77054 Public Hearing to comment on CDBG-DR Method of Distribution hosted by Harris County
- December 19, 2017, 10am at Harris County Commissioners Court – 1001 Preston St. Suite 934, Houston, TX 77002 Second Public Hearing to comment on CDBG-DR Method of Distribution hosted by Harris County
Please see our website at Harris County Community Services Department. The public can also make comments/recommendations regarding 2016 Flood recovery and CDBG-DR funding by sending them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to HCCSD Planning; 8410 Lantern Point Dr., Houston, TX 77054 by December 18, 2017.
The County is also seeking input through a survey on 2016 flood damage. Surveys are below in English and Spanish for residents to provide input, comments and recommendations. Completed surveys should be returned to email@example.com or mailed to HCCSD Planning; 8410 Lantern Point Dr., Houston, TX 77054 by June 23, 2017.